Make your own free website on
The KHO News is published monthly
1 USD=Rp9600  1 AUD=Rp 7100
June 2005
Sun May 22: We returned home from a week-end in Padangbai to find the house had been broken into. The burglars forced the back door after climbing over the back wall. They mostly took from the entertainment unit, lso Jamal's walkman, watches, binoculars and John's 20 year old portable short-wave radio and a radio-tape from the kitchen was also taken. Fortunately nothing else was taken. Jamal was quite upset and shaken. Never wise to leave a house in Indonesia un-attended, now we have learnt the hard way. 
Stripped entertainment unit
John & Jamal 
leave for Malaysia
Bali May 28: Jamal and John left for a 2 week tour of the Malaysian Peninsular. Highlight of the trip will be three days on the 550 kilometer Jungle Railway from Gemas to the northern city of Kota Baru. We will return to Bali Sun June 12.
Welcome from PM
The Prime Minister of Malaysia Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad
Badawi announced that while he welcomes tourists to Malaysia he cannot personally 
be present for the arrival of Jamal and John at KL Airport on May 28. The PM said "After all the airport is too bloody far from the city, I haven't got all day to go running out there to meet every tourist. I'm glad they have bought lots of whisky. hard to get here. We get ours from a Queensland And Northern Territory Air Service baggage handler at the airport."
What kind of Aircraft was the British R101?
The correct answer was an airship or dirigible.
Thank you to all those readers who entered the KHO competition. The winner is Mr Geof Allenby from Bangkok Thailand. Congratulations Geof - we look forward to your visiting the KHO for your free tour,
Don't miss the full
R101 Story
Page 12
John's Flying Days
"Madder than a Circus"
Page 8
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 2 
After a break of 4 years, Amsterdam friends Nico and Margriet returned to Bali for a 2 week holiday. While they were here we took them to Padangbai for the week-end.
Nico and Margriet
 Jamal, Margriet & Nico
Margriet is amazed by the large king prawns
Lunch by the beach
Jamal entertains at the beach
Dinner on the Saturday night, friends Rocky, Maisy, Sandra & Evonne joined us in Padangbai
Watching Soccer of course
Komang and Jamal
The KHO NewsCam
The trusty KHO Samsung Digimax 101 NewsCam complete with a 
whopping 1.3 mega pixels, has just got it's self a new large memory. I wish I could get one too ... Ed.
The ScanDisk memory module holds 256Mb, is enough for 2,900 sparkling, low 
quality photo's. We also acquired a recharge battery pak, All in the aim of excellence, to give you, our readers the best, low quality, photo's of our upcoming Malaysian trip - all adding to make the KHO News, the unique publication others only dream of.
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 3 
Padangbai Harbour from the hill.
Jamal & Krista
Waiter Komang at Kerti 
Jamal & Mimi
Early May we travelled yet again down to our favourite weekend get-a-away, Padangbai. This time friend Krista from Munich, Germany joined us, her first time, she totally enjoyed and can't wait to return.
Home Handyman Dept:
Is the Indonesian word for broken or unserviceable. (Pron: roo suck)
Sadly most products in Indonesia are of poor quality cheap, simply because it is all the poor can afford. This is false economy because the product must be replaced often. The rich of course can afford imported high quality items. 
The old adage, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer is still alive and well in Indonesia.
The other day my locally made  office chair legs simply collapsed. Of course it was probably designed for a 55 kg Indonesian and not for a 80kg westerner. Five large bolts and some glue, the chair was soon repaired - it is definitely now capable of supporting 100 kg+.
New Garage 
A new two car garage has just been erected, at John's house in Melbourne, it features a side pedestrian entrance and a remote controlled electric roller door. John will paint it next time he is in town.
Street side 
Denny inside the new garage
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 4 
In Indonesia we receive Australian news and programmes from ABC Asia Pacific. The station began transmission early in 2002 on the PanSat 8 satellite. The station is available free-to-air to anyone owning a digital satellite receiver in the Asia pacific region.
The station presents a number of programmes specially produced
for Asia pacific Tv, including Asia Pacific News with Whitney Fitzsimmons.
Asia Pacific Focus presented Michael Maher with interviews with the region's newsmakers 
Other programmes are a mix of Drama, Documentaries, sport and light entertainment, including A Touch of Frost,  Blue Heelers, 
Bodyguards, The Einstein Factor, Kath & Kim and Get-a-way. You can check out the ABC Asia Pacific programmes by Clicking Here
Billions of Viewers
Also the station is available from many cable rebroadcasters in the region. The potential audience is billions of people as the satellite footprint covers China, India, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Thailand, malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, New Guinea and the Pacific Islands. The satellite also carries 2 Radio Australia sound channels. RA English and RA Foreign Language.
PanSat 8 at 166 degrees
The Satellite
The 3,800 kg PanSat 8 satellite is owned by the NASDAQ listed PanAmSat Corporation of America. It was launched by Russian Proton 
Rocket from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazakhstan, Nov 4, 1998. PanSat 8 is the 18th satellite in
orbit belonging to the PanAmSat Corporation.  The FS 1300 spacecraft built by Space Systems/Loral, contains 24 C-band and 24 Ku-band transponders and will be located at 166 degrees East Longitude. PAS-8's orbital location. PAS-8 was the 
Proton Rocket
company's second Proton launch.
Pas-8 before launch
KHO Cleaning Lady
At the KHO we have a new cleaning and ironing lady, Ketut. She does a great job and loves a joke. Ketut has 2 adult children, sadly her husband died of a sudden heart attack two years ago.
Last Sunday Ketut bought her 8 year old adopted daughter along while she worked at the KHO.
Daughter Icha  was abandoned by her mother at birth, another lady looked after her until she was 5, however she 
was not able to look after her any longer. Ketut saved Icha from this  situation 3 years ago. Icha never attended school before as her foster mother was too poor to pay the fees, but now Ketut is sending her to Mumhamadia Junior School in Tegal, Denpasar. She is starting from the bottom in class 1.
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 5 
Most warungs (food stalls) across Indonesia serve a dish called Tami Goring. The dish is actually the old Cantonese dish known to westerners as Chow Mein.  Basically it is stir fried mixed vegetables, prawn, chicken, pork or fish, or any combination thereof served over deep fried noodles. 
Tami Goring (Chow Mein)
My favourite Tami Goring was always from the Cirebon restaurant in Ampenan, Lombok. 
Cirebon Restaurant Lombok
Hard to find in Bali
The dish is common throughout Indonesia. However very difficult to find in Bali. Ask most Balinese and they have never heard of it. However it can be found in Denpasar if you go to a Chinese owned restaurant, which tend to be only patronized by Chinese. In the Bali tourist area many restaurants purport to have a Chinese Menu, however I have yet to find Tami Goring being offered.
After constant searching 
we have at last found an Authentic Tami Goring in Bali, delicious! 
They have it in the food court at the Chinese Stand in Tiara Grosir, Gatot Subroto, on the cnr of Jl Gatot Subroto and Jl Kerobokan.
200 gm fresh egg noodles
1 cup bamboo shoots
1 cup water chestnuts
1/2 red bell pepper
1 cup fresh snow peas
2 celery stalks
2 slices ginger
2 TB dark soy sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1 TB Chinese rice vinegar
1 cup mung bean sprouts
Prawns - chicken - beef
Blanch noodles in boiling water & let dry, then fry until crisp. Cut  red pepper, remove seeds, cut into thin strips. String the snow peas, cut celery into strips. Heat wok, add 2 T'bl S oil. When hot, add the minced ginger, stir-fry briefly until aromatic. Add meat, then water chestnuts. Stir-fry briefly, and add the other vegetables except for the mung bean sprouts.  Stir in  soy sauce, sugar, and rice vinegar and bean sprouts. make a bed of  fried noodles on a plate, arrange stir fry on top and serve immediately.
One day an Indonesian teacher asked his class, what is one million rupiah multiplied by two. Budi, a bright kid put up his and and said "Sir, two point two million."  The teacher said "Budi sorry that's wrong, it's two million rupiah."  "Sir" said Budi objecting, "you forgot about adding corruption"
Tourism UP
JAKARTA: Indonesia's tourist industry is expected to contribute about US$6 billion to the nation's income this year, up from only $4.8 billion targeted in 2004, an official said on Thursday. "If the security condition is stable over the next few months, it's not impossible that we'll reach the target" said Minister of Culture & Tourism Jero Wacik. 
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 6 
Bali 22 April 1974, 2300 hours, local time Pan Am Flight PA-812 from Hong Kong to Sydney via Denpasar Bali, crashed into a mountain at an altitude of 3000 ft. on approach to the airport with loss of 11 crew and 96 passengers.
The subsequent investigation concluded the aircraft took a shortcut to expedite the landing, their Automatic Radio Direction Finder, tuned into the Denpasar beacon became inoperative when it was shielded by a mountain.
Following the investigation operators were warned they should encourage pilots towards a more thorough knowledge of the aeronautical information published in the Operations Manual for a certain airport, to avoid the possibility of divided attention during the critical stages of the approach.
Classic Pan Am Clipper series
The first production 707 (a 707-120 for Pan Am) flew on December 20 1957, and entered service later the
following year. Developments of the 707-120 include the similar 707-220, the shorter 138 for Qantas, and the stretched 707-320, which flew in July 1959. The 707-120 and 320 were later reengined with JT3D turbofans (in place of the original JT3 and JT4 turbojets) to become the 707-120B, and the 707-320B respectively. 707-320B - Max speed 1009km/h (545kt), max cruising speed 974km/h (525kt), long range cruising speed 885km/h (478kt). Range with max passengers 6920km (3735nm), range with max fuel and 147 passengers 9265km (5000nm).
Production of commercial 707s ended in 1978 after 878 had been built. Limited production of military variants continued until 1990. Approximately 130 remain in commercial service today, mostly as cargo aircraft.
 Pan Am 707 Interior in the days before overhead lockers
JT3D turbofans

The ill-fated aircraft "Clipper Climax" days before the crash
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 7 
John's second aircraft the British built Auster J5B
In the 1950 as a kid I watched the first Gypsy moth crop dusters, working at our home town, I was fascinated by aviation. During the season I would spend most of my free days watching the aircraft at the nearby field. (the above photo was taken on "Steels Hill" in Leongatha where the crop dusters used to operate from.)
Gypsy Moth Aircraft
As much as I wished and preyed the pilot of the Gypsy Moth never asked me to come for a fly.
Around 1964, while I was working at Channel 7, I was invited by station personality Brian Naylor and well know racing car driver Bib 
Stillwell to go for a fly in their joint owned Beechcraft Debonair. 
Beechcraft Debonair
Late the following year I started taking flying lessons at Civil Flying School Moorabbin. I those days 1 hour flying time with an instructor cost A$18 roughly 1/4 of my salary. At this rate I could only do 1 hour per week and sometimes due to financial restraints I had to skip. I learnt ot fly in a 2 seat Beechcraft Musketeer
Beechcraft Musketeer
Finally in 1967 I received my private pilots licence, which I still hold today.
Aircraft I
In 1970, I bought my
first aircraft a 1961 Cessna 150B from Arthur Schutt of Schutt Aviation, Moorabbin. I barely had enough money, however with the help of a good 
friend and Mr Schutt's liberal terms I became the proud owner of 
VH-WCH. The aircraft was distinctive from later C-150's as it had a straight tail. The Aircraft was the only C-150 in Australia fitted with long range tanks, had 8 hours endurance and could fly from Melbourne to Sydney, non-stop,
WCH Lakes Entrance Vic. 1972
I flew WCH all over eastern Australia, including a number of times into Kingsford-Smith International in Sydney. The aircraft is still flying and is based in Balmora, NSW,
Cessna 150B Specs.
Manufacturer Cessna Aircraft Corp.
Engine Continental 0-200-A
Max T/o Weight 1500 lbs
Cruise Speed 175 km/h
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 8 
Aircraft II
In 1975 I bought my self a new aircraft an antique four seat British Auster J5B, built in 1955. There was only one catch the aircraft was stationed at Corfield, Queensland. Just on 2000 kilometres from Melbourne. Being and old aircraft the Auster had a cruising speed of 150 km per hour, which translated into 13+ flying hours, not taking into account the many landings for refuelling. I booked on the 
Thursday evening to fly to Brisbane. Next morning taking the Folker F-27 service to Longreach, then a small Twin-Otter to Winton.
Mother comes along
I had deliberately not told my mother of this adventure as she would "worry herself sick" Two days before departing my mother found out from someone in the family and was on the phone 
Flight Preparation
I was buying the aircraft sight unseen although the owner sent me a small photo of it. He told me it had no radio - this I would need if I was to fly into Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne. In those days the rest of the trip you could get away 
with out a radio. Just submit your flight plan at the public phone at the airstrip, then call again after you had landed. I had an old "Bayside" radio I had taken out of the Cessna when I bought a new one. "You'll go down like Kingsford- Smith" she screamed. I said jokingly "why don't you come along, if we crash you'll know all about it because you will be there". To my surprise she said "I will come." -so I booked a seat for her.
I wired it up with 2 x 6 volt lantern batteries and made an antenna from a coat hanger. This I would install on the wing strut of the Auster with sticky tape in order to get into Melbourne.
We take delivery
The Friday we were off to Brisbane, Mum and I had dinner and we got an early night. Next morning we were up at dawn for the flight to Winton. The owner flew the aircraft down there from his farm in Corfield. We arrived and met the owner and had a pleasant lunch at the local pub. We filled out all the change of ownership forms and handed over the cheque, The aircraft was in far worse condition than I had 
expected. The Auster Aircraft was fabric covered, just like a kids model plane. There was a gaping hole in one side of the fuselage covered with newspaper and sticky tape. The owner apologized that he had hit a sheep the previous day. I knew this was not critical, as after all the Wright Brothers didn't even bother covering the fuselage. We discovered the seats had long fallen apart and were only just ply-wood and the sliding window were  missing. No problem in hot Queensland, but would be once we were down south. After a complete pre-take off check and re-fuel we started the aircraft. 
John at the controls of SNK
The aircraft had electric start but of course the battery had long ago died, so i had to hand start the aircraft by swinging the huge propeller by hand, while Mum 
hung on to the brakes. No way we want to be chased across the paddock by a pilotless plane. 
Our 2000 km Route South
It was late afternoon when we departed for Longreach 176 km, taking us just over an hour. On arrival we checked into the Motel. I went to bed early as I had had it. Mum hassled the hotel owner to find some foam rubber for us to put on the aircraft's 3-ply seats, after all we had more than 12 hours of flying to do. We also found some 3-ply to close off the 
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 9 
windows. The only problem was we could not see out either side. First stop was Barcaldin where we refuelled. On take-off we heard a large bang at the back, the tail wheel tire had blown out. Not to worry, the old Tiger Moths just had a metal skid. We made Charleville by lunch time, ate our sandwiches and refuelled. Rather expensive as they only sold 44 gallon drums and we had to pay for a full one even though we only needed half. We took off and flew to Cunnamulla, on the way the engine started missing and was running very rough, but we were able to maintain airspeed. At Cunnamulla we refuelled an I cleaned all the eight spark plugs. We started up again and the engine ran perfectly. Just before dark we arrived in Bourke where we stayed in a real Aussie Pub. Very colourful, Mum was most amused.
The final Day
We took off early and headed for Cobar. Take-off was always difficult trying to hold on to the breaks, full throttle and then try and ease the weight of the tail wheel before commencing the take-off run. Then on to Griffith, ah! back into 
civilization, we enjoyed a simple lunch at the aero club. All went well until we were about an hour from Melbourne and the oil pressure dropped. I immediately cut the engine so it would not seize and looked out the window for a suitable paddock to land in. I could not believe my eyes we were right over the top of Mangalore airport. Melbourne's emergency airport before the days of jets.  I made a glide landing approach to the airport, notifying the controller on the ground frequency. Private pilots always did that in the old days as they only recorded the tower frequency - that way we would not have to report the incident and suffer an investigation. We landed safely and Mum and I pushed the aircraft in off the runway. The problem was we had just simply run out of oil. The Gypsy Major engine in the Auster was designed to burn oil and that it did. The tower controller came down and found us some oil. Soon we were off again to Moorabbin, where a group of friends were waiting for us. We tied the aircraft down and went to a restaurant to celebrate our safe arrival.
Auster J5B Specs.
Manufacturer Auster Aircraft Ltd
Engine Gypsy Major
Max T/o Weight 2400 lbs
Cruise Speed 166 km/h
The next few months were spent restoring the aircraft to as new condition. We installed a newly overhauled engine and had every thing running beautifully. We flew the aircraft all over the place, often up to Mum and Dad's in Leongatha for Sunday lunch. We even flew the Auster into Kingsford-Smith. We were on final and had priority to land, a Qantas 747 waiting for take-off impatiently asked the tower what it the hold up. The controller said "Captain if you look out your window there is an Auster aircraft on final approach". The QF Captain answered "I wouldn't call that an aircraft" 
I taxied down to the first runway turn off a kilometre down the runway. After owning the Auster for 10 years we finally sold it as the fabric was due for an expensive replacement. The Auster was the favourite of all my aircraft.
Aircraft III
I had always like the Grumman aircraft since I saw the prototype designed by American Jim Bede in an Aircraft magazine. The aircraft was the first in the world to have the body glued together with composite, hot cured glue, rather than riveted, drastically reducing airflow drag, giving it exceptional performance. One day I say an ad for a second hand AA1-C in the Melbourne Age. Immediately I rang the owner and went out to Colestream airport to see it. I fell in love with it straight away and bought it there and then. 
John with niece Rene'
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 10 
The Grumman was totally different to the previous two aircraft, it was high speed and required miles of runway. This was not a bush plane. The Grumman cruised at 220km/h, fast for a single engine airplane. Low on maintenance, perfect to just jump in and fly away.
With Jamal in the Grumman '94
I sold the Grumman when I retired in 1997 after surviving 33 years of memorable fun flying.
Grumman AA1-C Specs.
Manufacturer American Aircraft Co
Engine Lycoming O-235
Max T/oWeight 1600 lbs
Cruise Speed 220 km/h
Skyship 500 landing at Cardington UK, original home of the R101
In the 1980's the Allan Bond enterprise Airship Industries, based in Cardington, UK,  the original home of the R101 Airship, produced a much smaller craft the 8 passenger Skyship 500.
Skyship 500 at mooring mast
One of the Skyship was bought to Australia on a demonstration tour. 
Unique Experience
Whilst it was based at Moorabbin Airport, Melbourne.  Friend Geoff Currey and I went on a 1 hour flight over Melbourne city. It was a most unusual and unique flying experience. The aircraft cruised at only 1500 ft. The engines were no near as noisy as a light airplane and there was not the vibration af a helicopter, we were just floating along. Due to the slow speed the windows were open and you could lean out into the breeze.
Length 423 ft, diameter 105 ft, height 150 ft and a speed of 70mph.
Excellent view from the open windows
The vector thrust engines
The spacious cabin
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 11 
The R101 airship was built at Cardington, UK and made her first flight in October 1929. At 777feet in length, she was the largest airship in the world.
Note size of people
R101 Construction
On completion in Oct 1929 the ship was the largest man made object ever to fly. Following her initial trials, it was discovered that the disposable lift was not as high as had been anticipated. During the winter of 1929, the airship was brought in to the hangers and was
then cut in half and an extra bay for another gas bag inserted to give more lift.
Lavish Hotel
The R101 was seen as a lavish floating hotel. Even by today's standards, the open promenades and public spaces would be seen as unique in the skies. 
These large British ships were the first to adopt the style of using the interior of the ship for the passenger accommodation. 
With the R100 and R101, the utilization of interior space was a first of it's kind to be used. The R101 could boast 2 decks of space, a dinning room which could seat 60 people at a time, and a smoking room which could seat 20. 
The promenades showed off the view to the fullest advantage. Compared to the noisy smelly and tiring journey in an aeroplane.
Upper and lower  deck
Smoking Room
60 seat dining room
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 12 
Promenade deck
The Airships were seen as pure luxury, with service compared to that of the greatest ocean liners, but with far faster speeds. The Atlantic could be crossed in 55 hrs.
Cabin Lobby Area
The food was only first class - Meal times: Breakfast - 0730 - 0930, Lunch - 1130- 1300, Afternoon tea - 1530-1430, Dinner 1930-2030
Crew Cabin
Passenger Cabin
Minor Mishaps
There were a number of minor mishaps on her initial flights including sluggishness and lack of lift.  In June 1930 she went into a steep dive for over 500 ft when returning from the Hendon air show. The crew managed to bring her back under control, only to have to deal with a second and a third dive. The R101 plainly had significant problems but Lord Thomson, the Secretary of State for Air, insisted that the R101 be ready for a flight to India on the 4th Oct. 1930.
Lord Thomson had personal political ambitions in  India and wanted to see a regular airship service from London to Karachi, via Egypt. As a result of this pressure, repairs were hurried and the airship patched with a rubber solution.  On the evening of 4th October the R101 left Cardington. She carried 42 crew, 6 officials & 6 passengers. A crowd of over 3,000 came to watch the departure. 
The R101 over London
Click here for page up
 Kerobokan Home Office News
Page 13 
Flight to India
The start of the journey was not propitious; ballast had to be dumped to compensate for over loading, strong winds were encountered and the aft engines broke down.
At approximately 2 am the R101 passed over Beauvais, a French city to the north-west of Paris.  Already flying at very low altitude she went into a dive and despite all the efforts of the crew she crashed just south of the city. 
The airship ran along the ground for some distance before being engulfed by flames. Rigger Church, who later died of his injuries three days after the crash, was interviewed and gave the following statement. "I would consider the flight rather bumpy, but not exceptionally so. The second watch had just come on and I was walking back when the ship took up a steep diving  attitude. At this moment I received an order to release the emergency forward water ballast (1/2) ton in the nose] but before I could get there the crash came." The emergency ballast was in the very nose of the ship and utilized most of the emergency ballast, it could not be released from the controls in the control car, and had to be jettisoned locally. The R101 came to rest with the forward part of her nose in a wood of small trees and the rest of her hull in a meadow. When getting away from the ship, both Disley and Cook did notice some interesting facts. Disley noted that even though the outer cover was burning, there was almost no cover left on the top of the ship aft of frames 10 and 11. The ship appeared to be a skeleton. 
The crash site from the air
Forty eight people died in the tragedy. National feeling surrounding the disaster was huge; the funeral procession through London was watched by thousands.  The bodies were then taken by special train to Bedford to be laid to rest in a communal grave in Cardington cemetery.
Memorial at Cardington cemetery
From Competition winner Geof who is retired in Bangkok.
"My family home in England was a few miles
from the Airship base at Cardington.  There is still a giant hanger there which was built to house the R101 and the others. 
Until the  WW2 there was also the mooring tower but it was pulled down for scrap metal during the war, but I can still just remember it.  No, I cannot remember the actual airships, I am not that old!"
The KHO is the affectionate name of our house in Bali, this a non - commercial site, to keep our many friends in touch with the local scene. Our aim is to help the local people through promoting tourism. The KHO web site: If you wish to unsubscribe please email us
Check Past Editions
Copyright ©2005 The Kerobokan Home Office